Dead Space 3 Co-op

Dead Space 3 was an interesting game for me. Never having played much of the first or any of the second, I was going into Dead Space 3 pretty cold. The only hook that got me was co-op (guess it was a good thing they added it). I ended up enjoying the co-op aspects of this game so much I just had to write about it. Co-op in Dead Space 3 doesn't play like any other game I've played. You and your partner are not just playing as two Master Chiefs, or playing as a character that just so happens to be by the protagonists side, be it AI or human controlled. Instead in Dead Space 3 player two is in control of John Carver, a bodyguard for the captain that has recruited you for this mission.

So what makes this game different is that the scenes of the game play out differently whether or not you have an actual partner playing with you. An example is that a tractor is falling off a slippery hill side (This is a scene from a trailer, so no spoilers). As Isaac Clarke you scurry inside the tractor on your way to the other side only to be stopped by a stuck driver side door. If you're playing as John Carver you crawl over the back of the tractor and proceed to try and unstuck the drivers door from the outside. Depending on how you work together you either get to safety or killed by a falling tractor. If you were playing this mission solo John Carver is not with you, so you are left to get the door open alone. It's not the most standout moment for co-op, but it interesting nonetheless.


(Not the trailer I was looking for but still shows off the co-op)

After experiencing co-op in this fashion I really want other games to adopt it, I had a great time playing through Dead Space 3 with a buddy. We were really able to bond and also find our role within the duo. This allowed us to pick up each others slack and enjoy the game more. Sometimes I'd rummage around while my partner solved the puzzle ahead. This allowed us to keep a good pace through the game while also being well supplied. Dead Space has also been previously labeled as horror, but this one is very action heavy. There are still some scary moments though, so if you're a little frightened a co-op partner can help you through the scary times too.

My hopes going forward are that developers try to integrate co-op in ways like Visceral did with Dead Space 3, but make improvements on what they did. At some points having Carver in the action with me increased the intensity of the scene taking place, but other times he was just a body standing in the background of a cut scene. Some of these events even directly affected him, yet he remained mute while it played itself out. Going forward avoiding these mistakes would be key. I'd recommend that the developers take the co-op gameplay action to the next level as well by give us more missions that utilize the fact that there are two of us playing. I can't wait to see what comes next from this studio and others that wish to add cool co-op like Visceral did.



The game has other ups and downs but I just wanted to touch on the co-op because I found it so interesting. Have you had a chance to play Dead Space 3 yet? If so did you play co-op? What did you think? Comment below only if you agree with me! Just kidding, I know everyone already agrees with me. Enjoy the discussion, but until next time...
Cheers!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Day 2 - Favorite Character

30 Day Videogame Challenge

PrE3 - What we know and predictions